Leg muscles are the biggest strongest muscles of our body and in order to have a great metabolism you must not neglect lifting with these potential “fat furnaces”. The vast majority of women don’t realize how strong and powerful their legs can be without getting bulky.
I understand that most women have a fear of lifting with their legs because they often carry a higher amount of fat in their legs and therefore fear adding bulk to their lower half through strength training. As women we don’t have the levels of testosterone necessary to build big bulky muscles!
So don’t think that if you lift with your legs you will make them significantly bigger. Initially a small amount of muscle growth will occur and before you start loose your fat on top and inside of this muscle, you may notice a slight size increase, but this is temporary. You will soon notice how your legs gain new shape, firmness and a leaner appearance. All of which is caused by these muscles becoming more active and therefore burning more fat!
LEG DAY…ARE you READY!?!
…I am buffing so I will do 3 sets of 10 of each exercise.
Here is what my workout log looks like filled out~
Below that I’ll detail it for you:
Squats 3×10(buffing); 3×6 (boosting)
abs between sets of squats
Dead Lifts 3×10(buffing); 3×6 (boosting)
between sets of dead lifts
Leg Extensions 3×10(buffing); 3×6 (boosting)
between sets of leg extensions
Leg Curls 3×10(buffing); 3×6 (boosting)
between sets of leg curls
15#Db’s x 2×30 steps
15#Db’s x 2×30 steps
If the above looks like it’s written in a foreign language to you…
here is a SUPER DETAILED view of the workout from START to FINISH:
Start with a warm up~ I like to do 10 min of the Recumbent bike(r-bike).
EXERCISE #1- Then I head over to where I am going to do my first exercise.
SQUATS: I start by doing a warm up set that I don’t count as a real set. No Weight x20 reps and then stretch and maybe do a few more- It’s always good to be “lubed up”.
I have just recovered from a bad back injury so I am being VERY careful to ease slowly back into squatting and many other leg exercises.
It’ll take me a few months to get back to lifting the weights I was prior to injury. Slow and Steady weight increases are the smartest way to lift.
· Set 1 of squats: 45# on my upper back x 10 reps…then move right into doing my abs
· Set 1 of ABS: The ABS exercises are up to you~ I’ll do crunches first: 15 reps slow and controlled….then go right back to squats.
Remember “I am buffing”, so I want little rest between sets and I want to keep my heart rate up.
· Set 2 of Squats: 55# on my upper back x 10 reps
· Set 2 of ABS: 15 crunches
· Set 3 of Squats: I feel good so I think I’ll ad another 10 pounds, 65×10
EXERCISE #2 – Dead Lifts: I like doing this with a slight bend in my knees lowering the weight slowly while keeping the curve in my lower back—all the movement in my hips.
· Set 1 of Dead lifts: 55# held with one hand over, one hand under x10 reps
· Set 1 of ABS: Knee ups x25 reps
· Set 2 of Dead lifts: 55# held with one hand over, one hand under (alternate which hands from previous set) x10 reps
· Set 2 of ABS: knee upsx15 reps
· Set 3 of DL’s: 55#x10
EXERCISE #3 – Leg Extensions- An important tip for women when doing these are to keep your feet flexed up and toes pointed slightly out…if you don’t have access to this machine you can do stationary lunges here instead.
· Set 1 of Leg Extensions: 135×10
· Set 1 of ABS: Full crunches on the ball x15 reps
· Set 2 of Leg Extensions: 135×10
· Set 2 of ABS: on ball x15
· Set 3 of Leg Extensions: 135×10
Exercise #4 – Leg Curls…if you don’t have this equipment you can do leg curls with a Ball
· Set 1 of Leg curls: 75×10
· Set 1 of ABS: CATS arch up for 5 secs hold…repeat 5 times
· Set 2 of Leg Curls: 85×10
· Set 2 of ABS: CATS 5-5sec
· Set 3 of Leg Curls: 85×10
BURN OUT EXERCISE! – Walking lunges holding dumbbells
· Set 1 of Walking Lunges: 15#DB’sx30 steps (15 each leg)
· REST for about 1-2 min…do some stretching
· Set 2 Walking Lunges: 15’sx15 (same as set 1, just written shorthand)
Then I am done….most leg days I don’t do any extra cardio or intervals. Leg workouts burn a ton of calories and use a ton of energy…to add Cardio on top of the workout unless I am in GREAT shape often makes me too tired to function the rest of the day.